Hello Ontario Nature members,
Please mark your calendars for our Lake Ontario North (LON) Ontario Nature’s Regional Meeting which will take place at the Scugog Memorial Public Library in Port Perry on Saturday, October 21, 2017. Our hosts are LON Regional Director, Cara Gregory and the North Durham Naturalists.
Ontario Nature’s Executive Director Caroline Schultz will be presenting on the Protected Places Campaign (PPC). As you are probably aware, in 2010, Canada and the parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity committed to protecting at least 17 per cent of the world’s lands and inland waters by 2020. With the percentage of protected areas in Ontario currently at just over 10 percent, it’s time for an all-out effort to meet the target!
- To provide safe havens for wild plants and animals.
- To sustain and strengthen Indigenous knowledge and value systems and their application in the conservation of landscapes and cultural practices of significance for Indigenous peoples and all life.
- To strengthen our resilience to climate change.
- To maintain functioning ecosystems and the benefits they provide.
- To improve our overall health and well-being through contact with nature.
- To benefit and diversify local economies.
- To celebrate our natural and cultural heritage.
- To build knowledge and understanding of natural systems and the impacts of human activity.
- To provide opportunities for outdoor recreation.
- To conserve vital gene pools.
More information about PPC and be found at http://www.ontarionature.org/connect/blog/top-10-reasons-for-protected-areas/
I have included above our Change of Contact Form. Please provide your current contact information back to me. Also included is our Group Activity Form. These activity reports are used to inform Ontario Nature staff and board members and other clubs about all the important work you do in your community. Please send your reports back to me regardless of your attendance at the regional meeting.
As always, please let others within your club know about this meeting and ask them to join you.