Hey kids, bring your camera outside and snap some pictures this summer to enter our photo contest! There are great prizes to be won thanks to our sponsors, The Toy Shop of Peterborough and Christensen Fine Art!
Age categories: 8 and under and 9 to 12
Contest themes (all themes will have one winner per age category):
Patterns in Nature: Explore the beauty of patterns in nature. Maybe a dewy spider web or reflections of clouds on water? Once you start looking for them, you’ll be amazed at how many patterns you find. The prize for this theme is a classic wood matted frame to showcase a print of your photo, generously donated by Christensen Fine Art.
Super Cool Wildlife Pic: This theme focuses on Ontario wildlife. A shimmering dragonfly, a graceful heron, playful chipmunks, or basking turtles … what will you see this summer? The prize for this theme is a $25 gift certificate, generously donated by The Toy Shop of Peterborough.
Just for Fun – My Fave Wild Place: Where is your favourite wild place – the place where you feel connected with nature, peaceful and happy? A forest trail, sandy beach, or tallgrass prairie? This theme is just for fun, and the prize is fame – impress your friends!
Eligibility: All contest registrants must be a member of the Peterborough Field Naturalists (exception: the “Just for Fun” theme is open to the public, ages 12 or under). Not a member yet? Join today!
Winning photos will be selected by a panel of judges based on alignment with one of these themes and overall photo quality (names will not be revealed to judges during the selection process). All winning photos will be featured on the PFN website and the PFN newsletter, The Orchid.
How do I register? In person at a Junior Naturalists’ event or by emailing email@example.com
- PFN members may submit a maximum of four photos (one per theme, and one extra for good luck). Registrants for the “Just for Fun” theme are invited to choose their favourite photo and send it in.
- Deadline to enter a submission: October 23 (extended deadline), 2016 at 11:59 pm. Age categories are based on age on the contest deadline.
- Photos must be the independent work of the registered photographer.
- Photos with people in the picture must be accompanied by consent for publication on the PFN website.
- Photos must not have been entered into any other contests or have publication restrictions.
- Low resolution files are required for contest entries (jpeg, under 100 KB). Please save files as Surname1, Surname2, etc. Winners will be contacted later for larger files.
- All photos submitted for the contest may be used in an art display after the contest to promote nature-based activities for kids (please don’t submit photos that you don’t want shared online or in a public art display).
- Ensure we can contact you – if we can’t get in touch with the winner we may need to select another winning photograph.
- Most important rule: have fun outside with your family!